When you are ready to build a detached garage on your property, you want to make sure that the company that you are using is one that is not only going to do amazing work on your property, but that is going to have good customer service, great communication, and fair prices. If this is your first time hiring a contractor to do this kind of work on your home, then there are a few other things to consider before you sign a any paperwork with a company. Yu want to make sure that the company that you work with is reliable and is capable of completing the work at hand. Here are a few tips to help get you started with choosing a custom garage builder for your home:
- Ask for references. Any company that has been in business for a few years should be able to give you a minimum of three references. You should make sure to follow up with them and ask them about their experience with the contractor that you are considering using.
- Shop around for estimates and make sure to get more than one. Some companies may charge you for an estimate and some may not. Either way, you want to get a few different bids so that you can compare them and see if you are being offered a fair rate by all of the companies involved. This is also a good opportunity to decide if you like the way that a particular company handles their customer service. Do they show up when they say that they will? Are they polite and professional, or do they try to use high pressure sales techniques in order to get you to book a job immediately. You want to do business with someone that you feel good about, so if a particular company is being unpleasant as early as the estimate process, then you may want to look elsewhere.
- Make sure the potential company is licensed. Any contractor in this area should be licensed and insured. You can ask to see copies of their insurance, but you can also check their license online to verify that they have one.
- Ask about the availability of services after the initial job is done. Do they also do repairs and service work on the garage? If your garage breaks a few months later, it should be their responsibility to fix it.
- Look for companies that will stand behind their work. This may come in the form of some kind of warranty on their work, or perhaps even discounted repair fees within the first year after the garage build is complete.
- Can they work on custom jobs? When you are hiring a contractor, make sure that they possess the minimum ability to build their own garage from the ground up. Anyone can buy a garage from their local hardware store, but if you are looking for something that is truly unique then make sure that the company that you are considering has the ability to build a custom garage that will meet your needs.