While the song “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend” was created based on an ad campaign to sell more diamonds, there are numerous reasons why women love them, especially when they are placed in a setting and received as an engagement ring.
- Hold it up to the light and look at it sparkle. Better yet, look at everyone else looking at it sparkle. Take care of it correctly, and your custom engagement ring will sparkle for a good, long time
- Diamond jewelry goes with everything. Regardless of the fashion or style, loose diamonds can be worn with every outfit and never go out of style. You can never wear out a diamond or grow out of a diamond. Also, unlike flowers, they do not die.
- It is a symbol of his love for you and how much he is willing to sacrifice to make you happy and get you what you want. He had to save an average of two months’ salary in order to afford the rock he placed on your hand. That means fewer beers with the guys, passing on a new electronic toy he may have been eyeing, amongst other things.
- It shows that he can provide and care for you. No matter how independent a woman seems to be, she likes to know that her man can maintain her lifestyle should the need arise.
- Holds a promise. As you admire the bling, you know that it holds his commitment that he is with you for the long run and into old age and if he is not, for whatever reason, he will leave you financially able to move on. However, you may have to sell the ring.
- Should you end up in dire straits, either with or without him, or even because of him, you can keep your head above water by selling the ring and using the money to pay whatever debts are owed.
- Level the playing field. Regardless of how big the rock is, it still sparkles as brightly. There are many to choose from in many different price ranges. Therefore, even those that only dream of stardom and royalty can afford a diamond that will be envied and shown off.
- They show what the earth is capable of. Made under conditions of extreme heat and pressure, diamonds are just another example of how wondrous the world is and that nature can do so many different things.
- While the movie “Blood Diamonds” showed the dark side of mining for the precious stone, the truth of the matter is that many people in Africa would not have the ability to get medical assistance or an education without the income that diamonds bring in.
While DeBeers may take credit for instilling the idea in society’s psyche that diamonds equal love, it was there all the time and it would have been seen with or without the diamond company and its advertisers. They just pointed it out and led the way.